The Philippine Consulate-General was established in Bandar Seri Begawan in August 1983 and was then headed by Consul- General Tristan V. Enverga.
When Brunei Darussalam declared its independence on 1 January 1984, the Philippines established full diplomatic ties with Brunei Darussalam and the Philippine Consulate-General was elevated to an Embassy. Ambassador Benjamin B. Domingo was the first Philippine Ambassador to Brunei Darussalam.
Heads of Post. The following served as Ambassadors to Brunei Darussalam:
The following served as Chargé d’ Affaires:
Tristan V. Enverga (Consul General, 10 August 1983–13 March 1984); Virginia H. Benavidez (20 June 1986–28 November 1993, 26 September 1994–08 March 1995, 01 July 1998–15 March 1999); Celeste Vinzon-Balatbat (01–28 July 2009, 01 July 2010–24 March 2011); and Pete Raymond V. Delfin (May 2018 - 27 May 2019).
The Embassy has jurisdiction over Brunei Darussalam. The Philippine Chancery. On 10 December 2003, the Philippine government paid for a parcel of land measuring 11,750 sq. meters intended for the Philippine Chancery.
A ground breaking ceremony was held on 16 April 2010 at the project site with Embassy officials and Filipino community leaders.
Phase I of the Chancery’s construction was completed in May 2011. H.E. President Benigno S. Aquino III unveiled a marker inaugurating the new Philippine Chancery during his State Visit to Brunei Darussalam on 01-02 June 2011.
Starting 02 August 2011, the Philippine Embassy in Brunei shall be located at Simpang 336, Diplomatic Enclave, Jalan Kebangsaan, Bandar Seri Begawan BA1210, Brunei Darussalam.
Selected Bilateral Agreements. The following are among the major agreements between the Philippines and Brunei:
• Memorandum of Understanding on the Establishment of a Joint Commission for Bilateral Cooperation between the Republic of the Philippines and His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam (signed in Bandar Seri Begawan on 17 August 1991, ratified on 19 November 1999, entered into force on 20 March 2000)
• Memorandum of Understanding on Defense Cooperation between the Philippines and Brunei (signed in Bandar Seri Begawan on 22 August 2001, ratified on 10 April 2002, entered into force on 17 July 2002)
• Memorandum of Understanding on Technical and Trade Cooperation in Fisheries between the Government of the Republic of the Philippines and the Government of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam (signed in Bandar Seri Begawan on 14 November 2000, ratified on 10 December 2001, entered into force on 12 April 2002)
• Confidential Memorandum of Understanding on Air Services (signed in Manila on 31 March 2009)
• Memorandum of Understanding on Agricultural Cooperation between the Department of Agriculture of the Republic of the Philippines and the Ministry of Industry and Primary Resources of the Government of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam (signed in Brunei Darussalam on 27 April 2009)
Address: Simpang 336, Diplomatic Enclave Jalan Kebangsaan Bandar Seri Begawan BA1210 Brunei Darussalam
Tel. Nos.: (+673) 2241465, 224 1466, 223 8845, 222 0781
Hotline: (+673) 871 4881 (Consular); (+673) 883 0933 (Labor)
Fax No.: (+673) 223 7707